Randall J Howard
President and CEO
Randall, a visionary business leader who has built through successive challenges a deep and diverse business capability:
- firstly, in researching key technologies driving the digital revolution, including software, networking and distributed systems,
- then, by working in early software startups, architecting and building leading edge products,
- followed by building one of Canada’s first global enterprise software companies, and
- today being a catalytic investor in the next generation of innovative start ups.
As General Partner at our sister organization Verdexus, a boutique dedicated to “hands-on” investment and growth of transatlantic technology businesses, Randall has taken an active role in the development and senior management of several portfolio investments.
Some current portfolio and related appointments include:
- Executive Chair of VERDEXUS portfolio company, Maintenance Assistant
- Board Chair at VERDEXUS portfolio investment, iotum
- Board member at Gore Mutual Insurance Company.
Further, from its acquisition in May 2004 to April 2006, Randall served as CEO of Verdexus portfolio company, Coreworx, where he drove the adoption of the Coreworx enterprise software solution purpose built for optimizing the global execution of major capital projects.
In 1984, Randall co-founded MKS Inc., which grew into one of Canada’s first significant public enterprise software vendors. As Chairman and CEO, Randall drove the strategic development of MKS from startup into a public software company with over 375 employees and over US$45 million in revenues. Randall oversaw business and technology strategy, financing, business alliances and the international expansion of MKS. In 2011, MKS was acquired by PTC, a Boston-based enterprise software leader for US$304 million.
Randall is also dedicated to building the global technology industry through current and past service on numerous boards of directors, including GoodContacts, Gore Mutual Insurance Company, iotum, Maintenance Assistant, Necho, Whitehill Technologies, Nanodesign and Waterloo Maple Software.
As a social entrepreneur, Randall has long focused on bringing social innovation to various organizations, focused on the arts, the environment and entrepreneurship, including as:
- Board member and Chair of Selection at Golden Triangle Angelnet,
- member of MaRS Wireless Advisory Panel of experts,
- member of Dean’s Advisory Council at Laurier Business School,
- co-founder and Chair of Centre Wellington Community Foundation,
- co-founder and Board member at Elora Environment Centre,
- Board Member and Treasurer of Roseneath Theatre,
- past board member of Elora Festival and Singers,
- past Board member and co-founder of Communitech, and
- past elected Board Member and CFO at Uniforum Association of San Francisco.
Randall holds an Honours B.Math from the University of Waterloo. His awards and honours include:
- Community Builder of the Year Award from Golden Triangle Angelnet,
- Faculty of Mathematics Alumni Achievement Award from University of Waterloo,
- Communitech Impact Award, and
- Entrepreneur of the Year Award for High Technology.
Randall Howard’s Eclectic Entrepreneurial E-musings “Exploring the intersection of technology, strategy, investment and social innovation…”